Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Body Art Booming Despite Economy



SYRACUSE, NY--At a time when there is little demand for luxury goods, tattoos seem to be, if not recession-proof, at least recession-resistant even here in Syracuse.



No national association exists for the tattoo industry, making it difficult to gauge its national trends. However, tattoo parlors across the country are reporting a steady rise in profits. Halo Tattoos, which has three locations in the Syracuse area, is no exception.



Randy Rode, a Halo Tattoo patron, said he will not be giving up tattoos any time soon.



"I just like art in itself," said Rode. "I just like tattoos. Makes me look tough. Helps me keep working out so I don't want to get flabby if I got tattoos on me."



Another Halo patron, Hillery Slodki, said its the cultural appeal of the thousands-year-old art that keeps her coming back.



"I was an art major in college, and I enjoy artwork," said Slodki. And I'm really intrigued by tattoos in general. And the stories behind them...all different cultures."



According to a 2006 Pew Study, nearly 40 percent of 18- to 40-year-olds have a tattoo.



NCC News reporter Leigh Paynter visited Halo Tattoo' Marshall Street parlor to see just how good the business is doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment